Ready for this? Do you know what the 3rd major cause of death is in the US right now? It’s listed right there after heart issues and cancer: Alzheimer’s. Why? Because once that amyloid plaque gums up your neural connections your brain shuts down. Once that happens, here comes pneumonia, falls that lead to operations, and a host of other ills that befall our elderly. So while that death certificate may have said, “Pneumonia,” Alzheimer’s was behind it all.
So, you would think that in our infinite, scientific wisdom we would be doing everything we could to prevent that plaque buildup in the brain in the first place. Instead, where are those billions going? Into ‘miracle’ pills that are supposed to remove the mess once it has already begun tangling the wires in our thinking. It’s like telling a teenager: “Oh, you’re pregnant? Well the abortion clinic is down on 21st street.”
As my aunt used to say, “We have it all bass ackwards.” As a kid, I actually thought that was a real word. Didn’t know until the day I told my geometry teacher that the stupid theorem had it all “Bass Ackwards.” He glared at me and said, “You watch your mouth, young lady.” ‘Hard to do without a mirror,’ I thought to myself but didn’t dare say out loud. Thought he was an idiot. Then I looked it up.
So let’s just cut to the chase: young or old here are some things you should be doing NOW—not once you forget your own address or how to tie your shoelaces.
1. MOVE—no, not out of state, off your butt.
2. THINK—not just about your next errand but make meaning in your moments.
3. EAT WELL—you already know what that means so I won’t bore you with broccoli.
4. GET SUNSHINE—or take Vitamin D. Better yet, plan a trip to the Caribbean.
5. CONNECT WITH OTHERS—no, not at the bar or hooking up at rock concerts. Something that makes you connect in a REAL way with others: sports, games, and regular volunteering will do the trick.
6. BE GRATEFUL for the time you DO have. You never know when it will be up. Just be sure that when it is your lights aren’t already out.